I Believe Jesus Suffered
|Minister:||Rev. Ronald Van Overloop|
|Text:||Isaiah 53; Lord's Day 15|
|Psalters:||320, 25, 184, 157|
Lord’s Day 15; Isaiah 53
I BELIEVE JESUS SUFFERED
I. That He Suffered II. Why He Suffered III. For What He Suffered
A. Jesus suffered all His life (2:10; Psalm 22:1,6,14-18; 69:8; Isa. 53:3,4).
1. He suffered physically.
2. He suffered in His soul (John 12:27; Luke 22:44; Matt. 26:37,38).
B. Three things about His suffering.
1. One, His suffering was not an accident, but was a determined and deliberate act of God (Acts 2:23; Rev. 13:8).
2. Two, God inflicted the pain on Him, for He was “smitten of God” (Isa. 53:4,6,10).
3. Three, His suffering was voluntary, for He humbled Himself and became obedient unto death (Phil. 2:8).
II. Why did Jesus suffer? Not to be a martyr for his principles, nor merely to be an example.
A. The purpose of Jesus’ suffering was to make payment for sin; He gave the sacrifice which made satisfaction.
B. This is because He suffered as a substitute for others (Isa. 53:6).
1. His suffering was definite in its purpose and in its effect (the sheep were actually delivered).
2. His substitution is the greatest of all truths; no better news than to hear the Savior bore the punishment in my place.
C.His death was necessary, as indicated by the fact that His death was by crucifixion.
1. He was cursed of God, separated and driven out of the fellowship of God (Gal. 3:13).
2. In His suffering Jesus was never disobedient; in fact, we read that He “learned obedience” (8).
III. For what did Jesus suffer?
A. In Jesus’ suffering see the greatness of the love and mercy of God for me.
B. Believe that His suffering actually atoned, made real and full payment (John 10: 28; I Peter 2:24; Col. 1:21,22).
C.So I might learn the horrible nature of my sin as I see what Jesus had to suffer because of my sin.