The Tongue of the Learned
||Rev. Ronald Van Overloop
||257, 127, 150, 398
- The gift.
- The Almighty Sustainer of all has equipped His Servant for His task, giving Him a ready tongue.
- This is a tongue such as learned or skilled men have – an expert tongue.
- The tongue was “given.”
- The Servant is speaking of His being abundantly gifted for the prophetic ministry.
- He spoke as no man ever did; with such power and authority.
- The word that He spoke was to be timely or fitting so that it will be of true blessing.
- And this applies to ministers of the word.
- The way the tongue is given: He “wakeneth morning by morning, He wakeneth mine ear to hear as the learned.”
- Refers to masters calling their scholars to their studies in the morning.
- This refers to the Servant’s preparation for complete obedience.
- Obedience characterizes His whole mission.
- Each morning God awakens the Servant’s ear so that He may obediently hear as do the learned ones.
- The ear of the Servant of Jehovah is open directly and immediately
- No one is better equipped to be our Prophet and Teacher of redemption from weariness.
- The purpose: “that I should know how to speak a word in season to him that is weary.”
- The “weary” are those who toiled hard and accomplishing nothing.
- Such are saints who are weary with sin, theirs and others.
- This is a spiritual weariness.
- He knew “how to speak a word in season to him that is weary.”
- The “word in season” to weary souls proclaims pardon and peace, pointing to Jesus, the bread and water of life.
- This is the word of redemption and deliverance from the cause of all the weariness of this earth.
- It proclaims the message of the hope of a new world.
- The only One with this tongue is the Servant of Jehovah, Wisdom (Prov. 8), the Lord Jesus Christ,
- He is our Chief Prophet Who only He speaks the words of eternal life (John 6:63,68).
- Hear ye Him!!