The Son Took Part Of Our Flesh and Blood
|Minister:||Rev. Ronald Van Overloop|
|Text:||Hebrews 2:14-18; Lord's Day 14|
|Psalters:||425, 110, 218, 403|
- The fact.
- Our Mediator must be, not only very God, but also very man (Lord?s Days 5 & 6).
- Incarnation: the Second Person of the Trinity took upon Himself our human nature (Rom. 9:5; I John 4:2).
- He is God and man in one Person.
- His conception and birth was a willing deed on His part (Phil. 2:7).
- The incarnation implies the virgin birth.
- This truth has been repeatedly denied under the instigation of the devil.
- The benefits of Jesus? holy conception and virgin birth.
- First, the result of the incarnation via the virgin is that Jesus has a perfect human nature.
- Second, Jesus? holy conception shows that we are sinful at the root: at conception.
- Third, this enables Him to be identified with us, thus equipping Him to be our Savior.
- The great comfort.
- This enables Jesus to sympathize with our weaknesses (Hebrew 4:15).
- More, He is thus able to be our Mediator.
- His real humanity enables Him to take on Himself all our sinfulness and sin.
- His deity assures me that His birth and death are of infinite value to satisfy God?s justice.
- He is able to translate my guilt into His righteousness and my pollution into holiness.
- And it enables the Son of Man to be a fitting Judge of all (John 5:22,27).