Our Savior's Death
|Minister:||Rev. Ronald Van Overloop|
|Text:||Matthew 27; Lord's Day 16|
|Psalters:||137, 184, 47, 28|
- Its horrible character.
- What is death, physically and spiritually?
- Physical death is the end of our earthly existence because the body collapses and is dissolved.
- Spiritual death is the expression of God’s wrath, a revelation of His justice against the sinner (Rom. 6:23).
- The death of the Son of God was a crucifixion, which meant that He was cursed of God.
- Jesus’ burial was necessary because the grave is a part of the whole experience of death.
- Jesus’ descension into hell also shows the extent of His death.
- Jesus voluntarily died – a most unique feature of His death.
- Its benefits and comfort.
- Jesus’ death was the only and the most perfect sacrifice for sin.
- His sacrifice completely satisfied God’s justice with respect to all of our sin.
- More, Jesus’ death took away the sting out of death for all His own.
- Jesus’ burial shows that Jesus left nothing out of our punishment.
- Jesus’ death earned for us deliverance from hell’s agonies and the presence of God’s love.