I Believe in Jesus
|Minister:||Rev. Ronald Van Overloop|
|Text:||Matthew 1:21; Lord's Day 11|
|Psalters:||276, 78, 263, 284|
- “Jesus” is the personal name of the Son of God in our flesh, given by God (Matt. 1:21; Luke 1:31).
- Matthew 1:21 declares that God provides the way of salvation.
- This personal name declares that salvation is all His work (His mission), i.e., Savior: "Jehovah salvation" or "saves."
- This name shows what kind of a Savior Jesus is.
- This name shows that Jesus actually accomplished what He came to do; there is power in His name (Acts 4:7,10,12).
- This name also declares that Jesus’ salvation was for a definite number of people: “His people from their sins.”
- Jesus is the only true Savior because He does what no one else can do.
- He is not just a Savior, but THE Savior, the only One.
- He changed our guilt into innocence, removing every liability to be punished, conquered the grave and overcome Satan.
- That Jesus is the complete Savior means that He is responsible for all of our salvation.
- He is sovereign in saving us, so that without Him we can do nothing right or good (John 15:5). He is THE way (John 14:6).
- Therefore we deny any joint effort to save as another gospel.
- Therefore rely on Him only and completely for all of our salvation.
- What do you want from Jesus?
- Believe in this perfect Savior who is revealed in this Name!
- Trusting in Jesus only and completely results in constant, personal humility, seeing my total unworthiness.
- And trusting in Jesus is a living out of Him so His holiness, power, and goodness shine through me.